Friday, February 22, 2008

Mission Accomplished: Spice




There is truly no better way to kick off my blog than to comment on the awesomeness that was the Spice Girls concert last night. I think it really sets the tone for exactly what this blog is going to be all about.

But to the real story - I had the great pleasure last night to attend the Return of the Spice Girls concert in Washington, DC last night. I have loved the Spice Girls from the very start - attending their concert back during their first world tour. Sadly, the concert I saw back then was right after Ginger Spice had left from the group - and so I had never seen all five together. It was well worth the wait.

Before I get to the fabulous-ness, two comments. One - the Girls were scheduled to come on at 7:30pm. It was probably closer to 8:45pm when they finally took the stage. I know that the sort of beauty and talent that is the Spice Girls takes work, but I would have appreciated a little more timeliness. Comment number two, I have finally seen how my husband has come to the decision that we should not allow any future children access to pop culture until they are thirty. The number of teen girls at the concert wearing clothes in which no self respecting parent should allow their children out of the house.

All of that was forgotten when the awesomeness began. They opened with Spice Up Your Life, which I think was a great move on their part. It is difficult to express all the fun that can be bundled up at a Spice Girls concert. Their outfits are just over the top. Posh is a caricature of herself - she can't dance, doesn't really sing - but you love her, because she is kinda like you. You know, if you were married to David Beckham, ate almost nothing and instead of singing a solo could just march down the runway and have people pay hundreds of dollars to see it. Scary Spice's solo (Are You Gonna Go My Way) was just that, scary. Would have liked to see a bit more of that DWTS skillz she has acquired. But without going song by song, as I have already disgressed into, it was a pretty fantastic show.

So why are the Spice Girls fabulous? Because they are silly. Because their dancing makes High School Musical look like the American Ballet Company. Because their songs are like fill in the blank rhyming exercises you had to do in first grade. For example,

Stop right now thank you very much
I need somebody with the human touch
Hey you always on the run
Gotta slow it down baby, gotta have some fun

They are approachable, and at the same time, huge celebrities. And I am so glad I was able to see their final tour - all five together, for one last time. So, hasta manana, Spice Girls, viva forever.

1 comment:

Exnicios said...

And really, the lack of pop culture isn't complete without the matching burlap-sack outfits. As long as we isolate the little buggers, they won't know that their TV-less burlap filled existence is anything other than normal.