Sunday, March 30, 2008

Musings on March


It is that time of year when young men's fancies turn to seedings and Cinderellas. In traditional fashion, my beloved UConn Huskies have completely collapsed in the post-season, losing their first games in both the Big East and the NCAA tournaments. Thankfully, I cheer for a school with an equally, if not superior, talented women's team and so I am currently watching the Lady Huskies beat up on ODU. Though I wish they were beating them up just a bit more.

As a side note, I am watching the game on ESPN2. Don't get me started as to why the women's tournament is relegated to ESPN2 and that in an effort to so more women's basketball they don't take figure skating off ESPN and show games there the first weekend. Also on ESPN2 I just watched back to back David "Big Papi" Ortiz commercials. I don't know if he gets these commercials because he is the worst paid Red Sox, or if has Travis Henry type issues - but I do know it is not for his acting skills.

All of this tournament talked raised an interesting question this morning. I was discussing Duke women's upcoming game today - and their possible future match up with UConn rival Tennessee. I told my Duke loving husband that if Duke does survive to play Tennessee I will have to cheer for Duke to lose, because I need for Tenn to survive to the National Championship game where they would match up against UConn. I feel that even if UConn were to win the Championship - that is when UConn wins the championship - it will lose something if they have not defeated Tenn to do so. My husband suggested that 1) this shows a certain level of cockiness that I believe UConn would win (and yes, I do believe that) and 2) it is contrary to his feelings. He wants his team to be up against Coppin State every time and win the championship by 50. Maybe having been a victim of the George Mason miracle, I don't trust a Coppin State match up. Maybe I take the wins and losses more personally - I really do wish to see Pat and her team cry this year. I hate the Orange, I hate Rocky Top and I hate Pat Summit's "play by my rules or I'll take my ball home" attitude as of late.

So I will continue to cheer on my girls but I will cheer on the Volunteers as well, so that they can make it to the destined match up in Tampa and we prove once and for all who the premiere women's basketball team is. (And we'll use Maya Moore to do it. :P )

1 comment:

Exnicios said...

Duke, as you all know, did not make it to the finals to face UConn--but I'll still take Coppin State over "real" competition any day.