Monday, June 2, 2008

Baseball

I enjoy the sport of baseball. Because of my constant relocating of the past five years, I do not have a team anymore. In high school/college I cheered on the Yankees - a remnant of my days cheering on the double AA minor league team in CT affiliated with the Yankees. But as I traveled further West, it became more and more difficult to follow the team - little press coverage, no tv. I know a true fan could follow on the web, but there are a lot of games in a baseball season. So I became a more casual fan - enjoying a game in whatever city I lived in/nearby. St Louis Cardinals, Denver Rockies, San Fransisco Giants, Seattle Mariners, Washington Nationals. Baseball, more than any sport I feel, is an experience to go to a game - an afternoon event preferably - so the team is less important.

All this preamble is to say, despite not being a fan of any team right now, I was able to enjoy see Manny Ramirez hit his 500th home run at Camden Yards on Saturday. My parents are huge Red Sox fans and travel to "Fenway South" to see the team. This was the fifth year they've done it - though my Dad wasn't able to come this year. Camden is a great place to see a game and its always been a lot of fun. For all those who missed it - here's Manny hitting one into history.

No comments: